It really is an exciting time for foodies in NYC. New gastronomic frontiers are opening up on the far West Side at Hudson Yards and downtown in the Financial District. I work at Hudson Yards so eagerly awaiting the openings. Happy eating!
Shops and restaurants at Hudson Yards
- Legacy Records – 517 West 38th Street, open – first restaurant to open in Henry Hall, an apartment building at the northern end (restaurant named for a recording studio once housed in this space). The partners in Charlie Rose and Pasquale Jones and the Chef Ryan Hardy will open this two story restaurant in the former Legacy Recording Studios. Menu will be more upscale than his other two casual restaurants with a focus on seafood.
- Thomas Keller – this famous chef will open a Bouchon Bakery on fifth level and a restaurant, an American Grill probably named TAK Room, on the fifth & sixth levels with outdoor terrace seating.
- Estiatorio Milos – high-end Greek seafood restaurant with outdoor seating on the fifth & sixth floors.
- David Chang – chef and restaurateur working on a two-part project on the fifth floor. The front will be a cafe (style of Momofuku Ssam Bar?) with a more formal restaurant behind.
- Cipriani – formal restaurant from this family with several other dining rooms and catering halls in NYC. Will feature Italian food with a Venetian accent. On the fifth floor.
- Gabby Karan de Felice and Gianpaolo de Felice – the couple who own Tutto Il Giorno in TriBeCa and Southhampton, will create a casual Italian restaurant on the fifth floor.
- Michael Lomonaco – NY chef who has a steakhouse and bar in Time Warner, plans a 220 seat seat American restaurant with local and regional classics, on the fourth floor. Will have an open kitchen.
- D&D London – London based group of splashy restaurants plans a 11,000 square foot restaurant on the fourth floor. Will include an all-day cafe.
35 Hudson Yards
- Juan Santa Cruz – Buenos Aires restaurateur signed on to open a restaurant on the ground floor on the western side.
- Equinox Hotel – will be one restaurant in the hotel and another to be selected in the building.
10 Hudson Yards
- Jose Andres – chef who has restaurants in Washington and other cities will set up a market and food hall for all things Spanish. Will be in a 35,000 sq Foot indoor-outdoor space. “It will be in the spirit of markets like Boqueria” in Barcelona. Joining him as partners will be bakers, winemakers, and other food artisans (including the renowned Barcelona chefs Ferran and Albert Adria).
But if you can’t wait till these great places open (as I can’t since it is my work hood), below are a few reasonably priced recommendations near by (in order of preference).
- Red Cat – 227 10th Ave, 212.242.1308
- Tapas Bar at La Sirena – 88 9th Ave, 212.977.6096
- Trestle on Tenth- 242 10th Ave, 212.645.5659
- Corkbuzz Wine Studio in Chelsea Market – 75 9th Ave, 646.237.4847
- Santana (next to the Whitney) – 820 Washington St, 212.254.3000
- Untitled (in the Whitney) – 99 Gansevoort St, 212.570.3670
- Salinas – 136 9th Ave, 212.776.1990
- High Street on Hudson – 637 Hudson St., 917.388.3944 – very casual, best for breakfast or lunch