Long a favorite in my house, I made a large pot at Christmas time to serve as appetizers for all the friends who stop over during the holiday. Make the meatballs on the small side, serve in a beautiful ceramic bowl and watch them disappear.
- 4 Lb. Mixture of ground Veal, Pork, & Beef
- 2 C fresh white bread crumbs
- ½ C seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 4 Tbs. chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 C grated parmesan cheese
- 2 Tea. kosher salt
- 1 Tea. freshly ground black pepper
- ½ Tea. ground nutmeg
- 2 extra large eggs
- Olive oil
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
- 3 C chopped yellow onions
- 4 ½ Tea. minced garlic
- 1 ½ C red wine
- 3, 28 Oz, cans crushed tomatoes
- 3 Tbs. chopped flat leaf parsley
- 4 ½ Tea. kosher salt
- 1 ½ Tea. freshly ground black pepper
Place the ground meats, both bread crumbs, parsley, parmesan, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and egg in a bowl. Combine very lightly with a fork. Using your hands, lightly form the mixture into 2 inch meatballs.
Pour equal amounts of veg & olive oil into large skillet to ¼ in. Very carefully, in batches, place meatballs in oil and brown well on all sizes (med heat). Don’t crowd the meatballs. Discard oil but don’t clean pan.
Sauce – heat the olive oil in same pan. Add onions, sauté over med heat till translucent. Add garlic , cook 1 minute. Add wine and cook on high heat, scraping all brown bits until almost all liquid evaporates. Stir in tomatoes, parsley, salt, pepper.
Return meatballs to sauce, cover, simmer on very low heat 25-30 minutes.