I admit it, I love chicken. And happy that it is the new brussels sprouts & kale in NYC! Don’t let the amount of garlic scare you away as the flavors meld to produce a mellow flavor. The garlic cloves become soft and sweet, and are great squeezed out of their skin onto a baguette. But don’t forget to also mop up the aromatic sauce with that bread.
- 3 1/2 – 4 Lb Organic Chicken
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- One-half lemon
- 1/4 tsp. sweet paprika
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 40 cloves unpeeled garlic, separated (around 2 heads)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (remember, all that is left is the taste of the wine as the alcohol cooks off, so use a good bottle that you would like to drink)
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Toasted baguette slices for serving
Preparation (heat oven to 400)
- Pat chicken very dry and season inside and out with 2 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. pepper
- Squeeze the juice form the lemon half and set juice aside
- Put the juiced lemon half in the chicken’s cavity, cross the legs and tie them together, tuck the wings under the chicken
- Dust the breasts and legs with the paprika
- Heat the oil in a 3-4 quart dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, breast side down, and cook until the skin is browned. Turn and cook the back and sides until browned. (around 2-3 minutes per side). Transfer the chicken to a plate (pour off and discard the oil left in the pot).
- Return the pot to medium-high heat. Add the garlic and wine, stir to deglaze the browned bits from the bottom.
- Return the chicken to the pot, setting it breast side up on top of the garlic. Add the herbs, and pour the broth over the chicken. Bring to a boil. Cover and transfer to the oven.
- Cook, basting every 20 minutes, till 160 degrees (45 minutes to 1 hour)
- Uncover & continue to cook until the thermometer is 165 – 170 (about 10 minutes).
- Transfer to cutting board and garlic to serving plate (cover both loosely with tin foil to keep warm)
- Strain liquid from pot into small saucepan (discard the herbs). Spoon off as much fat as possible. Bring to boil over Medium-high heat. Simmer till reduced to 3/4 cup (5 minutes). Season to taste and add the reserved lemon juice.
- Carve the chicken and transfer to serving platter with the garlic. Serve with the sauce and baguette slices.
Serve with a White Burgundy, Chablis, or Red Burgundy!