I admit it, I love chicken. And happy that it is the new brussels sprouts & kale in NYC! Don’t let the amount of garlic scare you away as the flavors meld to produce a mellow flavor. The garlic cloves become soft and sweet, and are great squeezed out of their skin onto a baguette. But don’t forget to also mop up the aromatic sauce with that bread.
- 3 1/2 – 4 Lb Organic Chicken
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- One-half lemon
- 1/4 tsp. sweet paprika
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 40 cloves unpeeled garlic, separated (around 2 heads)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (remember, all that is left is the taste of the wine as the alcohol cooks off, so use a good bottle that you would like to drink)
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Toasted baguette slices for serving
Preparation (heat oven to 400)
- Pat chicken very dry and season inside and out with 2 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. pepper
- Squeeze the juice form the lemon half and set juice aside
- Put the juiced lemon half in the chicken’s cavity, cross the legs and tie them together, tuck the wings under the chicken
- Dust the breasts and legs with the paprika
- Heat the oil in a 3-4 quart dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, breast side down, and cook until the skin is browned. Turn and cook the back and sides until browned. (around 2-3 minutes per side). Transfer the chicken to a plate (pour off and discard the oil left in the pot).
- Return the pot to medium-high heat. Add the garlic and wine, stir to deglaze the browned bits from the bottom.
- Return the chicken to the pot, setting it breast side up on top of the garlic. Add the herbs, and pour the broth over the chicken. Bring to a boil. Cover and transfer to the oven.
- Cook, basting every 20 minutes, till 160 degrees (45 minutes to 1 hour)
- Uncover & continue to cook until the thermometer is 165 – 170 (about 10 minutes).
- Transfer to cutting board and garlic to serving plate (cover both loosely with tin foil to keep warm)
- Strain liquid from pot into small saucepan (discard the herbs). Spoon off as much fat as possible. Bring to boil over Medium-high heat. Simmer till reduced to 3/4 cup (5 minutes). Season to taste and add the reserved lemon juice.
- Carve the chicken and transfer to serving platter with the garlic. Serve with the sauce and baguette slices.
Serve with a White Burgundy, Chablis, or Red Burgundy!
Ilene is the best cook I know. Her recipes are always a hit with our guests.
Wow, this looks delicious! 🙂 I just published a chicken recipe today as well! I love chicken! 🙂 Monica x
Thanks Monica, will check out yours also!
LikeLiked by 1 person
You’re welcome! 🙂 x
Made the recipe! It is simply the best!
Deliciousness…hungry for it!
Heya i am for the primary time here. I found this board and I find It really helpful & it
helped me out much. I’m hoping to provide one thing back
and help others like you helped me.
Just want to say your article is as surprising. The clearness in your post is simply cool and i can assume you are an expert on this subject.
Well with your permission allow me to grab your
RSS feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and
please carry on the rewarding work.
Thanks for your comments, much appreciated. Please feel free to follow me for upcoming posts.
Her recipes are truly superb!